Fifth-place Pacific FC held second-place Atlético Ottawa to just a single goal in their Sept. 22 matchup at TD Place in Ottawa, ON. [Photo by Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography]

For the second time in club history, Atlético Ottawa is heading to the Canadian Premier League (CPL) playoffs.

Thanks to Vancouver FC’s 3-1 loss to Forge FC on Sept. 21, Ottawa was guaranteed a spot in the 2024 CPL playoffs heading into their Sept. 22 match against Pacific FC. A victory against the West Coast club would have clinched home-field advantage in their first playoff match, and the crowd knew it. 

When Atlético winger Ballou Tabla broke in behind the Pacific defence in just the third minute of action, the noisy Ottawa faithful were already primed to erupt.

Ottawa Ballou Tabla musces past a Pacific FC defender on Sept. 21 at TD Place in Ottawa, ON. [Photo by Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography]
Tabla struck the ball past the keeper, only for it to clang off the post and out of play. It was a near-miss that set a precedent for the frustrating match that lay ahead for Atlético, as the teams finished in a 1-1 draw. Ottawa head coach Carlos González said he was disappointed with the result, but said his team’s quality of play in the midfield was excellent throughout.

“I felt we did enough to win the game. I think we created enough chances” González said. “The only part we lacked a little bit was maybe in the last third, in the clinical finishing actions.”

A draw was not the result Atlético wanted in a match that could have pulled them close to contention with Forge FC for the CPL Shield, awarded to the regular-season champion. They currently sit in second place, five points behind Forge FC.

With just four matches remaining in the regular season, Ottawa needs to capitalize on every opportunity to stay within striking distance of the league title.

Against Pacific FC, Ottawa threatened early and often, springing out in numerous counter attacks, often led by Tabla and striker Rubén del Campo. After Tabla’s shot off the post, an ensuing breakaway was called back offside, and del Campo’s few solid runs into the box were ultimately cleared away without a quality shot on goal. 

In the first half, Atlético’s attack was driven by their pace, blitzing their Pacific opponents before the defence could structure itself. They just failed to capitalize.

Ottawa midfielder Aboubacar Sissoko finally opened the scoring in the 29th minute with a textbook finish on a well-developed attack, slotting the ball into the bottom-right corner past goalkeeper Emil Gazdov.

Ottawa Midfielder Aboubakar Sissoko strikes first against Pacific FC on Sept. 21 at TD Place in Ottawa, ON. [Photo by Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography]
Atlético took the 1-0 lead into the halftime break.

Ottawa continued its offensive pressure in the opening minutes of the second half, highlighted by an excellent setup from del Campo to Tabla, whose shot sailed over the bar.

That was the last of Ottawa’s serious looks on goal.

In the 53rd minute, Pacific attacker Dario Zanatta swung a cross that found the head of a wide-open Moses Dyer, who equalized the score with his fourth goal in as many games. The New Zealand product was acquired from Vancouver FC on Aug. 16 and has breathed new life into the Pacific FC system. They currently sit in fifth place, occupying the final playoff spot.

With just four matches remaining for all eight CPL teams, and just a few points separating last place from a playoff berth, there is still so much to play for.

Atlético Ottawa will have another chance to clinch home-field advantage when the Halifax Wanderers visit TD Place on Sept. 29.

Featured photo by Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography