A proposed referendum that would see Carleton receive a new fitness centre will take place on Feb. 8-9, according to a release from Carleton’s department of recreation and athletics.

The referendum will be asking students if they want to pay a fee of $12.50 per term in order to fund the construction of a new 11,000 square foot fitness space.

Jennifer Brenning, Carleton’s director of recreation and athletics, said the new centre would be a highlight of the university.

“When students are making a decision to elect a university, I think it will be a showcase piece, “ she said.

With the proposed fee, full-time students would pay $88.30 per term, up from the $75.80 they currently pay. The new fee would also eliminate the optional $26 per term cardio fee that students currently pay, according to Brenning.

Brenning said the current centre is inadequate for the students, due to the amount of activity it sees.

“One complaint of our student body today, is the crowdedness of the existing fitness centre, which is 5,700 square feet for a student population size that is 27,000,” she said.

The new centre would help manage that by expanding the space by around 6,500 square feet, Brenning said. If the referendum goes through and students want to pay the fee, construction would begin in the summer of 2012 and be completed around spring or summer 2013, according to Brenning.

Brenning said the new centre would have additional space for more activities. The existing centre would be split into two, with one half becoming a space for dance, yoga and group fitness activities, and the other side being converted into a weight room.

The complete cost for the centre is around $2 million, Brenning said. Students would pay for most of the centre, but some external revenue that the current centre generates would also contribute. If the referendum fails, Brenning said the department of athletics would have to look at other external sources.

“We’ll have to decide what we’re going to do with this space, and if we proceed with a fitness centre, obviously the business model, we’ll have to look at how  generate revenue from external sources, as well as look at our program offerings and our facility operating hours, to see how we’ll manage,” she said.

A.J Palladino, a third-year commerce student, said a new centre is desperately needed.

“It’s always packed, during prime times of the day,” he said. “Obviously it’s going to be busy in the afternoon, but if there’s more space, there’s more equipment, then there’s more people that can fit into there, and you don’t have to sit around for three hours waiting.”

On the other hand, Kareeen Onyeaju, a second-year biology student, said she doesn’t see a point in paying more fees.

“I don’t really know much about it,” she said. “All I know is that there’s an increase that’s going on my tuition, and I don’t feel very good about that, especially since I don’t take any student loans. I pay for myself, so every dime and penny hurts me a little bit.”

Brenning said she hopes students pass the referendum for their own sakes.

“The whole purpose of the fitness centre is for the students,” she said. “With a new centre, it will really help the whole campus and bringing students to Carleton as well.”