Name: Arun Smith

Program/Year: Human rights and political science, sixth year

Position: Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS) councillor

1. Why are you running for CUSA council?

Having been on this campus for a few years now, I’ve seen the community disintegrate, governance structures become embroiled in scandal, and safe space mocked and ridiculed.  It’s time to stop playing political games, to stop making empty promises, and to build this campus into an environment conducive to empowering voices, and empowering students.

2. What do you think makes you a good candidate?

I would bring a perspective to council that is very much missing: the perspective of an outsider, of a student who works full time, of a student who has stayed out of the fray of CUSA, but who remains committed to the values of making this campus a safe space for all students. My activist background and my stances against misogyny, racism, gender-oppression, homophobia/transphobia/biphobia, ableism, classism, etc . . . make me an ideal candidate for a faculty as diverse as arts and social sciences.

3. What are two things you hope to achieve if elected?

During the campaign, I have committed myself to being available to students 19 hours a day, from 7 a.m. to 2 a.m., by phone, text, and Facebook, with a response in a maximum of three hours. This is something I would continue if I am elected. Next, I have been the host of the “Re-Learn” Your Campus Discussion Series Mondays and Fridays, which have been a tremendous success. These would continue, in addition to faculty-specific town hall meetings every week or second week.

4. What’s one fun fact about yourself?

I have a strict policy of not wearing two of the same-coloured socks at the same time.