The Art History Graduate Students’ Society (AHGSS) is holding their third annual conference to help encourage dialogue with other academic disciplines and to give students a forum to present their ideas.

This year’s conference will be held on March 28 and is titled “Flux and Flow: Explorations of Movement and Change.”

It will focus on the theme of movement and how it relates to art, human migration, and innovation.

AHGSS is trying to raise $4,000 to cover the costs of holding Flux and Flow. Two thousand of this is being asked for through Future Funder, a Carleton crowd-funding website.

So far, more than $500 has been raised toward their goal using Future Funder.

They also made applications for a variety of grants to help pay for the event, said Maxine Compean, co-chair of the conference.

“Our conference will also be receiving funds from AHGSS seasonal bake sales and special events designed to finance the cost of planning this event,” she said.

Costs that need to be covered include those for planning the conference and hosting the keynote speaker, according to the Future Funder page.

The conference is run entirely by art history graduate students, according to Carol Payne, graduate supervisor for art history at Carleton.

“It is much to their credit that they are able to run a very professional academic conference,” she said.

Payne said the conference gives graduate students a chance to show off their work and learn new approaches.

“It allows Carleton graduate student art historians to engage in the discipline of art history in Canada at a high level,” she said.

Past AHGSS conference themes included Access/Restriction in 2014 and Decadence/Decay in 2013.

Highlights of Flux and Flow include a keynote address from Jesse Stewart, a Carleton music professor and visual artist, and the chance to be part of a participatory art installation.

The keynote will be held from 7-10 p.m. on March 27 at the Carleton University Art Gallery (CUAG), followed by the conference the next day.

Stewart will also perform at a lunchtime event on March 28 with a member of The Propeller Dance Company hosted at CUAG.

We on faculty are very proud of our students’ accomplishments, but particularly of the success of this ongoing, student-run conference,” Payne said.