Carleton University’s Azrieli School of Architecture & Urbanism celebrated the 50th anniversary of its program in an event called “Forward 50,” inviting faculty, current students, and alumni on Oct. 4 and 5.

In its very first year in 1968, the School of Architecture had just 12 students enrolled. Since then, the program has expanded greatly.

The celebrations involved various events such as panel discussions, a display of design studios, receptions, and a dinner.

Robert Ritz is an architecture alumnus returning to Carleton for the Forward 50 event. He said he picked architecture at Carleton “because they picked me.”

While other alumni said they chose Carleton because of its river or open spaces, Ritz said it was because of his love for the artistry of the campus’ architecture building.

“You could see that other universities would have their building look as though they were made out of warehouses,” Ritz said. “Not this one.”

Ritz says the building itself was a practical work of art. “You could learn so much just by walking around the building,” he said. “You can see how well it is constructed, and how much the building teaches you through its own architecture.”

One of the issues discussed at the events were upcoming changes to the architecture building—it needs several changes to make it more up to date, and these changes need to respect the original architect’s vision for the building, according to the event’s webpage.

“The building is truly pedagogical,” Ritz said. “It’s a building that educates by itself.”

Yardley McNeill is an alumnus that became senior city planner of Vancouver after graduating over 30 years ago.

“It’s weird because it still smells the same as in 1986.” McNeill said.

“That time the building was only two years old . . . coming back is a very strange, intense feeling,” she said. “But, coming back also helps us realize that all the stresses regarding work that we faced here were helping us prepare for the world outside.”

Brent Welty, a practicing architect in Calgary, attended the program over 15 years ago.

“This is a very challenging profession,” he said. “The pay may not always be good, even when the workload is mentally and physically stressful. However, you learn to become problem solvers, and you start to create a better world.”

Other activities at the event included alumni-led tours of recent architectural work in Ottawa, a conversation on the importance of meditative thinking in architecture, and picnic lunches. Also discussed was the work being done on Lansdowne and the National Arts Centre, which Carleton alumni had a role in redeveloping.

Exhibitions featured prints of vineyards, photos, paintings, gardens and buildings designed  by graduates.

“Remember that the answer is always in front of you,” Ritz said. “This school truly makes a problem-solving idea-generator out of you. You learn how to influence the form of the world.”

Photo by Karen-Luz Sison