The women played York on Sept. 21 and Western Sept. 22. (Photo by Carol Kan)

The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team had another successful exhibition weekend Sept. 21-22, despite being short several teammates against the York Lions and the Western Mustangs.

The Ravens started strong against York on Sept. 21, easily overtaking the Lions for a 4-1 win.

Despite the loss of several players due to injury, the Ravens pulled ahead, winning the majority of their battles up the ice and creating a multitude of scoring opportunities.

Shelley Coolidge, who has been coaching the Ravens for four years, said she was “really happy with how we [the Ravens] executed the game plan,” and that “the team made significant strides.”

“A number of people scored. All four goals were scored by different people,” Coolidge said. The Ravens outshot the Lions 32-24, and won the majority of the battles in the offensive zone.

Kelsey Vander Veen, a four-year veteran defenceman scored one of the four goals of the game.

“It was an amazing game,” she said. “Everyone did everything right.”

The four goals of the game were scored by Kelsey Vander Veen, Ainslee Kent, Sadie Wegner, and Victoria Gouge. Tamber Tisdale played net for the game, holding York to one goal and stopping 23 of 24 shots.

Coolidge also noted the team’s ability to step up and fill the gaps when shorthanded. “The players were playing in a number of different roles. It’s great to see them competing smart in a number of different positions.”

However, the shortened bench did not go unnoticed by the Ravens or their opponents. Saturday’s game was marked by a 3-0 loss to Western, with the Ravens fighting to catch the Mustangs throughout the game.

“People were a little depleted,” Coolidge said. “But there were lots of really good things about how they played.”

“We competed for pucks, and got some good scoring opportunities in both games.”

Despite the loss, the Ravens outshot the Mustangs 29-20.

Eri Kiribuchi played goal against Western, stopping 17 of 20 shots.

“Everyone’s really exhausted,” she said. “It’s a good feeling. We left everything on the ice.”

Despite the loss, Coolidge is confident in the team’s ability.

“The girls have good competitive drive and spirit. We’re going to keep playing at this level.”

“At the end of each week, they will have improved,” Coolidge said. “They have about 26 weeks left of getting better.”

“It’s in their hands.”

The injured Ravens were visited by the team therapist Saturday evening.

“We have a number of players out because of injuries. We’re hoping to see them back in the lineup,” Coolidge said.

With the severity of the injuries uncertain, the Ravens will end the pre-season with an uncertain bench, and may have to continue playing shorthanded into the season.

The Ravens start their season on Oct. 12, when they head to the University of Ottawa to face the Gee-Gees.