West Andes Quinoa and Kale is one flavour of frozen soup crafted by family business, All About the Soup. [Graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan]

When the cool weather swept in this fall, Kathleen Ingleston, a recent Carleton linguistics and discourse studies grad, caught a cold. Her first step to alleviate the illness? Cooking a big pot of soup to share with her roommates. 

“Soup is so comforting when the outside is cold,” Ingleston said. “Whether you’re sick, sad, in a bad mood or trying to pick [someone else’s spirits] up, you definitely need comfort foods at one point or another.” 

For many, soup is the ultimate dish to welcome the autumn weather, replenish the body and connect with the local community. Carleton Place locals Andy Tout and Charline Beaulieu understand the value of a perfect bowl of soup—so much so that they opened a business.

Founded in 2015 by Tout and Beaulieu, family-run business All About the Soup sells vegetarian, wheat-free and dairy-free frozen soups. Using fresh vegetables and imported spices, they aim to create “four to seven layers” of flavour in each recipe.

“We don’t make a single soup that doesn’t have tremendous flavours,” Tout said. 

Every week, Tout spends two days preparing vegetables and grinding spices to maximize the taste of every ingredient. He then heads to a commercial kitchen in Smiths Falls for 12 hours of cooking, where he makes enough soup to fill at least 750 containers. The business’ frozen collection includes their African Peanut and West Andes Quinoa & Kale recipes.

“We make sure [the soup] tantalizes a lot of senses in your mouth: The smell, the sour, the bitter and the sweet,” Beaulieu said. 

Andy Tout and Charline Beaulieu, owners of All About the Soup, at a farmer’s market on Saturday, Sept. 23, 2023. [Photo by Alexa MacKie/the Charlatan]

Irena Knezevic, a Carleton associate professor who studies social-culture experiences of food, said soup’s versatility contributes to its comfort factor.

“Soup is a unique kind of comfort food because it’s such an adaptable meal. You can make it out of anything,” Knezevic told the Charlatan over email. 

Knezevic noted soup is a convenient way to meal prep while reducing food waste.

“What I like about soups the most is that they can be seasonal, they are well-suited for using ‘imperfect’ produce and most soups freeze well, so they are good for meal planning and advance prep,” she said.

Each of Tout and Beaulieu’s creations is low-sodium and made with no preservatives. 

“I think that people are realizing more and more the importance of food on their health,” Beaulieu said. “People like to eat things that are local, fresh and not canned, and something that is wholesome and healthy.”

As a young person, Ingleston said using fresh ingredients in meals appeals to her. 

“I’ve recently started caring about eating whole foods and about what’s going into my body,” Ingleston said. “[Locally sourced soup is] so appealing to me because you know where it comes from and you’re eating real food.” 

Ingleston visits farmers’ markets often for the seasonal produce and to invest in the local economy. 

“It’s super important [for me] to eat in season,” Ingleston said. “It’s nice to see what other people are passionate about. I love to support them.” 

As the autumn weather unfolds, Tout and Beaulieu have been attending farmers’ markets in Carp, Westboro and Lansdowne Park.

“It’s a community [there],” Tout said. “Once you’ve been to farmers’ markets, you learn to appreciate the quality that is everywhere.” 

The friendly culture at markets enhances visitors’ experiences, according to Knezevic. 

“Farmers’ markets can be real community hubs and can give both vendors and shoppers a sense of belonging,” Knezevic said.  

Tout and Beaulieu are thrilled to share in the Ottawa community’s love for soups.

“People come every year, so you get to know them. It’s not just knowing each vendor, but you get to personally know a lot of your clients. That’s the fun thing,” Tout said. “When people come and say, ‘Oh my god, I love your soups,’ it makes it all worthwhile.”

Featured graphic by Alisha Velji/the Charlatan.