Björk

Vulnicura

Disturbed by One Little Indian

It is unfortunately fitting that an album about vulnerability and losing control leaks days after its announcement, leading Björk to bump Vulnicura’s intended March release date to January.

The leak was a blessing in disguise. Björk’s most recent works have often focused on gimmicks such as Biophillia’s iPad app. With Vulnicura, the focus can be entirely on it.

The album chronicles the ending of a relationship but never simply feels like “Björk doing a breakup album.”

Instead, the opening half is doubtful and insecure, while the second becomes playful and hopeful.

Gorgeous opener “Stonemilker” dreams of emotional respect as Björk begs, “We have emotional needs / I only wish to synchronize our feelings,” in front of slow sorrowing strings. Later, “Atom Dance” (featuring Antony Hegarty), bubbles around wildly with joy despite the darkness of the album.

The change becomes apparent after album centrepiece, “Black Lake,” a long and intimate moment prefaced in the accompanying booklet with “two months later”.

Here, Björk battles with her dual emotions towards a destroyed relationship, softly singing, “My soul torn apart / My spirit is broken / Into the fabric of all / He is woven,” and questions “Did I love you too much?”

Musically, the album is most reminiscent of Vespertine, focusing primarily on cold atmospheric moments. This is thanks to co-production from Arca, who is now recognized amongst music nerds for his production work on Yeezus and with FKA Twigs.

The pairing works incredibly and gives Björk’s sound refreshing new life without any drastic shifts.

Vulnicura fits naturally into Björk’s multi-decade music career, and it is one of her most accomplished, ambitious, and emotionally rewarding albums to date.