Anything in Return
Toro Y Moi
Carpark

It is easy and almost necessary to look at the music of Chaz Bundick, better known as Toro Y Moi, through the lens of the summer of 2010. That summer saw the rise of artists such as Washed Out, Neon Indian, and Toro Y Moi himself, a group of artists that were rather unjustly thrown under the umbrella term “Chillwave.” The term, originally coined by hip-culture satire blog Hipster Runoff, refers mostly to artists that recorded hazy, and often synth-driven pop, speaking mostly of summer, girls, and of course, chilling. The phrase became too all-encompassing, seemingly thrown over any release that sounded happy or was based in electronic music.

Bundick’s first record, Causers of This, which plays out like some sort of warped disco remix tape, was thrown under the moniker of “Chillwave.” Like many of the other artists of the movement, Bundick has moved far from his original sound, although he retains an almost burnt-out, relaxed ethos. Bundick’s latest release, Anything in Return, retains these ideals, although his musical style has changed completely.

The music videos released in support of Anything in Return have featured him in Al Green-like garb surrounded by beautiful countryside scenes. Bundick makes constant eye contact with the camera, hugs trees, while cruising the countryside and showing off dance moves in a desolate forest.  Even when the videos show him with another person, he seems decidedly alone.

The album’s content itself is not particularly indebted to the natural scenes in the new videos, but the sense of loneliness and introversion are constantly present. “Why is it so dead on a Friday night?” Bundick asks on album highlight “So Many Details.” As he reminisces of love and apathy, the song thumps and weaves around his tired-sounding voice. Despite all this loneliness, Bundick remains relaxed, almost lazy in his own sonic universe.

The album’s instrumentals are consistently engaging. The mixing and production create a smooth atmosphere, making the album perfect for relaxation. The synths often border on cheesy, but the way that Bundick indebts himself to the melodies and lyrics anchors his music firmly in a complete sincerity. The drums feel lifted from everything from lounge jazz to trap rap, and beat with a strength that renders that music danceable.

Bundick’s voice itself is a curiosity. Not necessarily strong, he sometimes strains against his wall of sound. This sort of singing style could easily be written off as lazy, or easily sound out of place, but it blends in perfectly with his music. Bundick could easily be crooning to himself in his bedroom, privately enjoying his world of sound. He doesn’t seem concerned with making any grand gestures with his music, instead reaching and maintaining a slow, R&B-like aesthetic.

Toro Y Moi’s latest release is an excellent entry to his discography. It continues the Chillwave ethos in new sonic territory, and highlights Chaz Bundick’s progression as a serious artist. The album is warm and well-crafted, carrying a consistent and interesting sonic atmosphere into multiple songs.  Anything in Return is a great listen for any fan of Toro Y Moi or synth-pop.