Tiger Talk
Yukon Blonde
Dine Alone

In pop music, change is always expected. Artists that stick to one style often find themselves pigeonholed by fans and critics. This goes double for new bands. If a second album sticks too close to the first, terms like “sophomore slump” start flying.

Staying in one place hasn’t been a problem for Vancouver-based Yukon Blonde. Songs from their self-titled full-length mainly stuck to heavily harmonized folk-rock, with slight hints of guitar pop thrown in. Those hints have blossomed over two years and an EP. Their second album, Tiger Talk, is a full-blown, slickly produced power pop record, complete with a huge, radio-ready single in “Stairway.”

And oh, what a single it is. Simple beats and bass lines lend momentum to the song’s chugging guitars from the get-go. And with a chorus that goes from a loopy, harmonized keyboard line before guitars drive the song back to the verses, “Stairway” is among the catchiest tunes to hit the airwaves this year.

So why don’t other songs on the album match up? While Tiger Talk never lags, its hooks never dig in as deep as they should. For many pop bands, this would be a death blow. For Yukon Blonde, it makes for an energetic album that feels a bit front-loaded, with not many songs that stand out.

For the most part, Tiger Talk proves that the band can write up-tempo pop songs reasonably well. “My Girl” kicks the album off on a high note, with bright, jangly guitars and a rhythm section that’s laid-back but still propels the song. A strutting, “My Sharona”-style beat carries “Radio,” while singer Jeff Innes’ confident delivery and a roaring, Stooges-style guitar solo keep it from going stale.

Problems start to emerge when the band slows down, though. The lyrics on “Iron Fist” undercut the spacious, comforting atmosphere created by the keyboards and guitars.  Innes seems to be trying to console a heartbroken friend, but the song’s big hook just plainly states, “You will get over it.” It’s concise, but hardly soothing or kind in the way the music suggests.

“Guns” also lacks cohesiveness. Its words vaguely seem to promote gun control, but the band sets them over a cheesy rock ballad. While this helps keep the song from ever getting too serious, it creates a somewhat jarring tone.

The band doesn’t always fall into this trap on slower songs. “For LA” doesn’t aim for the same energetic heights as other highlights on the album. At the same time, its reverberated guitar work fills the song out nicely.

“Sweet Dee,” meanwhile, manages to be one of Tiger Talk’s slowest and yet most memorable songs. A lead guitar mournfully chimes out high notes over a slow, mixed down rhythm part. Innes’ reflective lyrics and contemplative delivery fit in perfectly, and it makes for both a pleasant diversion and a perfect end to the record.

As a whole, Tiger Talk proves that Yukon Blonde can switch genres almost effortlessly. On the other hand, it also proves that doing so doesn’t always guarantee memorable or effective music.