Reign of Terror
Sleigh Bells
Mom + Pop, N.E.E.T Recordings

Brooklyn-based noise pop band Sleigh Bells are back louder, stronger and arguably better than ever before with their sophomore album, Reign of Terror.

Following their critically acclaimed debut album and major record deal, it seems the duo has found their niche. Reign of Terror is rightfully more robust, yet much more poppier than their abrasive debut Treats.

The album encompasses Sleigh Bells’ signature sound with plenty of samples and Derek Miller’s heavy guitar. However, gone are Alexis Krauss’ grungy vocals. In their place, soft lyrics are laced throughout the album — a contrast to Miller’s Def Leppard-reminiscent hard rock and thundering electro-beats.

“True Shred Guitar” opens the album with the sound of an arena-rock concert from the ’80s, complete with boisterous applause and classic show chants, but it’s “Born to Lose” that really sets the tone of the album. The juxtaposition of Krauss’ haunting vocals and the shredding of electric guitars create a perfect contrast.

The melancholy-ridden lyrics on “Comeback Kid” build on this contrast. The upbeat metal-pop track is filled with pulsating electro-beats and overdriven guitars that nearly drown out Krauss’ gentle vocals. Beneath the blaring instrumentals, she chants, “I know you tried so hard, but you can’t even win/ You gotta try a little harder, you’re the comeback kid.”

Sleigh Bells doesn’t seem to have heeded their own lyrical advice. The album doesn’t “try harder” or depart from what audiences have heard from the duo since their 2008 breakout. Krauss’ vocals are reminiscent of ’90s girl bands, but Miller’s production is very modern and experimental which makes for a more unique sound. While it’s different from what’s typically heard on the radio, the musical elements still only create the same sound the band is known for.

If you normally enjoy Sleigh Bells’ loud, upbeat, distorted sound, you will not want to skip a song on this album. Reign of Terror makes for an easy listen that’s considerably catchier than their first effort. However, if you see their new breed of rock as headache-inducing, this won’t be the album to change your mind.