Beta Love
Ra Ra Riot
Barsuk

Whether you fall instantly in love, or instantly in hate, Ra Ra Riot’s latest album, Beta Love, inspires some intense reactions.

This is the Syracuse, New York band’s third album and marks quite a deviation from their first two.

The band is known for their orchestral sound, with Rebecca Zeller on violin and ex-member Alexandra Lawn on the cello. It does, however, seem that Lawn’s departure from the group sparked a change that will have faithful Riot listeners thrown for a loop. The laid-back, indie sound has been exchanged for a more electronic feel. On Beta Love, the full, earthy string tones have been pushed into the background by synthesized piano chords and singer Wes Miles’ overly-worked falsetto.

Take for example “What I Do For U.” While fortunately the shortest song of the album, it still seems like a bad Justin Timberlake knockoff, with Wiles trying to force a sexiness that’s just not there. “That Much” starts off great, but quickly devolves into an electronic jumble.

But it’s not all bad.

“When I Dream” is probably the most reminiscent of Riot’s former efforts. It offers a less worked melody, with Wiles’s voice shining through like it used to. “Beta Love” brings back the violin along with the new electric sound, making for a surprising pairing.

And “Dance With Me” is just that — a wonderful dance tune. If there’s one thing this album has that the first two doesn’t, it’s more up-beat. It’s a feel-good album that will have the listener rocking out in their bedroom.

Lyrically, as always, Beta Love is as successful as its two preceding albums. “When I Dream” is a sad, remorseful song of a love coming to an end. Wiles’ crooning of “and when I dream/it’s not of you” will make the song a must-have on all break-up lists.

So while listeners looking for the band’s traditional sound will be sorely disappointed, Ra Ra Riot shouldn’t be so easily dismissed. Their creative foray into the popular music world has turned out some entertaining, enjoyable tunes that deserve a listen-through and an open mind.