Singularity
Northlane
We Are Unified/Distort

Australian post-djent band Northlane has cemented their title as “the next big thing” with the release of their sophomore album, Singularity.

“We wanted it to be something you can’t even put your finger on, something indescribable, something out of this world, and I think the music and lyrics reflect that greatly,” lead vocalist of Northlane, Adrian Fitipaldes said in a “behind the scenes” of their album video released on YouTube.

Singularity meets and surpasses the extremely high bar set by their first full-length Discoveries, in both production and musicality. The already bouncy guitar tone got even heavier and the already heart-wrenching melodies continue to compel you into the experience. However, this album is a breed of its own compared to the band’s first release, an EP entitled Hollow Existence. There is something to be said about the progression of studio bands in general and a strict culture of compliance between the artistic expression of the musicians, the requirements to be met from the record label and the wants and needs of an expanding fan base.

In mid-December, the first glimpse of new music from Northlane was released with no explanation and the music world was consumed with “Worldeater.” The track predicted a heavier tone more like the first EP but with a progressive spin sounding more like Discoveries.

Following up “Worldeater,” the band dropped news of Singularity along with a music video for “Quantum Flux,” the fifth track on the album. “Quantum Flux” exemplifies the dynamics of the new album whether you like it or not. A rough attempt at clean vocals comes seemingly out of the blue and persists in various spots through out the album. Trace amounts of singing can be found in their previous releases and the sheer crass and unconditioned tone of Fitipaldes’ voice makes the stints of singing bearable.

“Masquerade” is the eighth track on Singularity and it boasts a guest vocal spot by Drew York of the popular Long Island band Stray from the Path. York’s distinctive hardcore vocals and brutal lyrics compliment the new Northlane sound to combine for one of the strongest tracks of the album.

Title track “Singularity” changes up the pace of the album for a slower, post-rock, interlude. Similar to the title track off of Discoveries, the song is instrumental. Conversely, a monologue preaching death to conformity and a need for individuals to create their own culture inspires the listener into a state of lulled awe following by a crash of ecstasy.

“I am one of those people who believes the world is going through a significant amount of change or a transitional period right now, and that’s sort of what the Singularity thing is about. We really don’t know what’s going to happen in the future and that’s why we chose the name Singularity,” the vocalist said.

Singularity is the perfect step in a natural progression for the seven-string band from Sydney, proving that they are here to make an impact as Northlane continues to contribute their own idiosyncratic sound to the global music stage.