Music AlbumBefore The Light

Hands & Teeth

Released by Underground Operations

Hailing from Toronto, indie band Hands & Teeth’s newest musical endeavour is a refreshing blend of pop and rock, seamlessly blending the two genres to create five new harmony-laden songs.

The band dove into the music scene in 2010 and has since released one EP (Enjoy your Lifestyle) and one LP (Hunting Season).

Now, they are starting to inch into mainstream media after their album charted on various campus radio stations across Canada. Their songs have been featured on several television shows, as well as CBC and BBC radio.

The standard combination of drums, guitars, keyboard, and bass causes the band to produce a very generic indie rock sound. In terms of songwriting, their lyrics are rather simplistic and the choruses somewhat repetitive.

However, the band’s use of harmonies and complex melodies definitely helps to separate their sound from everyone else. Their songs are very vocal-driven, using their voices as instruments to add more than just lyrics to their songs. Their superficial lyrics are made up for with the depth of their vocal harmonies.

Their sound varies from upbeat pop to post-punk alternative rock. The band credits this wide range to their differing abilities and experiences in former bands.

Opener “Alice” demonstrates the band’s ability to mix these two genres into one song. Atop a wailing guitar and pulsating drums are dreamy vocals.  Towards the end of the song, a key change precedes a guitar and drum solo reminiscent to something you would hear at a rock concert.

“Easy” has a poppy, atmospheric feel to it. The song is very rhythmic—the vocals flow through a jangling guitar and glimmering ambience.

“Not The Same” and “In the Eyes” exemplify Hands & Teeth’s rockier side. A buzzing guitar and muffled vocals can be loosely compared to the likes of The Strokes.

Hands & Teeth may not be revolutionizing music, but they have managed to create music that is just different enough to separate them from the regular indie crowd.