Fetty Wap, the one-eyed rapper best known for his hit single “Trap Queen,” has often been called a one-hit wonder. When his self-titled debut album was released on Sept. 25, he proved to us this was not the case.

At only 24 years old, Fetty Wap has already done what most performers only dream of, matching Billboard records set by Lil Wayne and Eminem this summer. Chances are, you have already heard many of the singles on the album.

He starts out with “Trap Queen,” arguably his best-known song. Well, for Fetty, you could say this actually sets the stage perfectly for his unique but incredibly catchy sound. While he exhibits his style flawlessly, his fellow Remy Boyz rapper Monty also gets his time to shine, featuring on nine of the 20 songs on the album.

The album feels more like a collection of hits than a traditional record. You could play the album on shuffle and come out with more or less the same finished product. The production, led by Brian “Peoples” Garcia, while not the most diverse, does its job well, accentuating Fetty Wap’s sound perfectly.

There are hits aplenty on the album, with “679,” “Trap Luv,” “Again,” and “My Way” all coming up to finish the first half of the 77-minute work. By now though, you already have the gist of it; his music, while catchy, has little substance and tends to get repetitive. Still, when you have a formula that works, why change it, right?

“RGF Island,” another top 100 single, leads the way for the second half of the album. “No Days Off,” “Rock My Chain,” “For My Team,” and “Whateva” are the finer tracks to close out the album. His ad-libs do get a little tiring, with “Aye” and “Yeah baby” seemingly at the beginning of every song. Regardless, he has perfected his sound, and knows what his fans expect of him.

Overall, Fetty Wap is a solid but not spectacular album. What it lacks in creativity, it makes up for in pure replay value. The generous autotune and repetitive melodies, coupled with Fetty’s unique sound are incredibly well used, which is why he is blowing up so fast. Still, he has yet to prove that he can innovate to take his talent to the next level. His debut album, while a huge success popularity-wise, is something he must build on to become a more complete artist.

Fetty Wap gives us a good example of a “one-sound” rapper. While he has lots of hits, he doesn’t really venture out of his comfort zone, giving us more of the same. Still, his highs are indeed very high, and the hits on the album ensure that Fetty Wap will get its fair share of plays.

Rating: 7.2 / 10