A Dramatic Turn of Events
Dream Theater
Roadrunner

Two years later, progressive metal band Dream Theater has come back with the release of their 11th studio album, A Dramatic Turn of Events.

The title is surely a reference to the last two years, which saw the departure of drummer, lyricist and founding member Mike Portnoy and the subsequent naming of Mike Mangini as his replacement. Despite missing such a key member, Dream Theater released another excellent album Sept. 13.

Within the first few tracks, it’s apparent that Dream Theater is back. “On The Backs of Angels” rides an intricate seven-string guitar line into a heavier piece with all kinds of layers that weave together flawlessly while “Build Me Up, Break Me Down” weaves together different genre-crossing elements. At heart, it’s a metal song, but glimpses of industrial drums and symphonic backgrounds give it a unique feel.

Staying true to their aesthetic, this album is another gold mine of progressive songs. “Lost But Not Forgiven” is one of the many tracks which goes through countless time and tempo changes with incredible precision — the best part being a superb guitar solo by John Petrucci that goes through several movements without missing a beat.

“Outcry,” another progressive piece, transitions suddenly but seamlessly from an intense guitar solo to a slow piano theme nine minutes in. This leads to an inspiring coda as lead singer James LaBrie desperately cries out, “Rise up, be counted/Stand strong and unite/Wait for the outcry/Resistance is calling tonight.”  

A Dramatic Turn of Events slows down with “This Is The Life,” a more introspective piece with lyrics: “Have you questioned all the madness you invite?/What your life is all about.” It also features another solo by Petrucci that cannot be described as anything less than beautiful.  

Undoubtedly, the most bizarre song on the album is “Bridges In The Sky,” which opens with . . .  throat singing? Yes, throat singing. A deep, guttural groan opens the song and is followed by a very clunky transition into an ominous choir. Putting the unnecessary introduction aside, there are some gems to be found in this song.

“Breaking All Illusions” is more of a progressive rock song, with less metal influence. Bassist John Myung drives the song with calm but groovy lines that are topped by atmospheric guitars and keyboards through the intro.

Bassist John Myung drives the song with calm but groovy lines that are topped by atmospheric guitars and keyboards through the intro. Rudess shines on keyboard, with solos reminiscent of Rick Wakeman.

Unfortunately, the band tries to pull off two ballads: “Far From Heaven” and “Beneath the Surface.” Both songs seem too forced, with lyrics that are simply not up to par, and instrumentals that pale in comparison to the rest of the album.

Despite a few questionable decisions, this album is definitely worth a listen. The band is showing no signs of stopping and still pumping out unique tracks that very few artists could pull off.

Though A Dramatic Turn of Events isn’t their best album, Dream Theater has proved they don’t need Portnoy with them to put out an album that can enthral and amaze the listener.