Believe
Justin Bieber
Island Records

There’s a reason Justin Bieber exploded into stardom so fast and with such teeny pop vigour—and it wasn’t just due to his superfluously worshipped hair. What people forget amidst Bieber’s militia of boy-hungry fangirls is that there is a truly impressive array of writers and producers buttressing this image that has attained international fame. With big brother Usher himself on board as executive producer on the album and names such as Drake and Nicki Minaj attached, Bieber’s latest has the needed support to capture a very specific sound that flirts with the Red Bull-induced, Facebook-romanced, clubbing teen culture of this age. And that’s what pop music is all about, isn’t it?

Right from the get-go, it’s clear Bieber and his producers had the club in mind. Starting the first track with a sophomore collaboration with Ludacris called “All Around The World,” Bieber trades in his younger melodies for deeper vocals and heavier euro-house beats. Following with his hit single “Boyfriend,” Bieber tries to engrave his new image as the player rather than the pup. The track’s slick falsetto and cool rhythms compose a song that can finally be heard on the dance floor rather than on the family channel.

As the album continues, Bieber hits all the points on the spectrum of the album that he wanted to hit. “Right Here” featuring Drake borrows his contemplative style as they exchange deep tones. Bieber’s signature theme of hopeful teen romance remains intact in “Catching Feelings” and “Fall.” Bieber even manages to mix in a nod to his idol Michael Jackson with a song that particularly impresses in “Die In Your Arms.”

Recalling an early Jackson with high reaching vocal ranges, chorus-like harmonies, and colourful snaps, “Die In Your Arms” is really quite a technical display on Bieber’s part. While “Beauty And A Beat” with Nicki Minaj serves as an upbeat climax to the album, tracks such as “Be Alright” provide a more settling, easy-to-listen to acoustic sound—something that feels a bit misplaced, but is welcomed nonetheless.

For those weary of the Biebs, I advise to try sifting through and seeing past all the hair, the YouTube trolls and Internet memes and see this for what it is: a pop album that’s a good listen. Bieber gracefully concludes his album with a thank-you to all his fans in the title track “Believe,” hosting a supporting choir and a soaring chorus. So rejoice all you closet Beliebers, here’s an album that you might actually be able to crank up in the car.

Rating: 3.5/5