Photo by Julien Gignac.

“I’m telling you, it’s like walking into Wonka’s factory,” said one man as he entered the venue for the Ottawa Art Battle Regional Finals.

Bean bag chairs littered the floor and coloured bicycle tires hung from the ceiling; blank canvasses became works of art 20 minutes later as 16 artists vied to represent Ottawa at the Art Battle national championships on July 16.

Nearly 400 spectators turned out to see the battle.

The event welcomed people of all ages but never censored the adult themes of any art pieces.

Competitive painters take on the challenge of transforming a white canvas into a work of art in just 20 minutes.

Spectators circle around the artists as they work and vote afterwards for their favourite piece.

“I let the atmosphere flow a little bit,” said Jordan Meekis, an animation student from Algonquin College who made it to the final four at the battle.

Meekis flipped through a sketch book holding outlines of what he might paint during the battle, but said he’ll usually let the moment decide for him.

“At first, I’m really nervous, and then I just get into it, I start painting,” he said. “It’s just crazy.”

Despite the rush and pressure, artists work at their own pace.

Some, like Meekis, brush a light silhouette to start, while the snowy owl on Rob Nicholson’s canvas emerged much later in the 20 minutes.
Diane Fontaine danced with a glass of red wine in her hand, haphazardly striking the canvas with colour.

The audience voted Fontaine the winner after three rounds of competition.

In a moment that she says was 30 years in the making, Fontaine will move on to the national championships along with runner-up Gloria Bay.

“I’m very, very happy to be going,” Fontaine said.

Meekis said he was proud of what he accomplished in this round, but he is already motivated for the next season of art battles.

“I’m definitely going to come back next year, and see if I can get farther than that,” he said.

For the first time in history, the national championships will be held in Ottawa this year, at the Westin Hotel.

Tickets for the extravaganza will be $40, but there will also be a free-viewing art battle on Rideau Street coming up on Canada Day.