2019/20 Ottawa Sports Awards Banquet

In light of a successful 2019, Carleton Ravens rugby player Maya Addai was awarded as the best rugby player in Ottawa from the Ottawa Sport Awards.

Despite playing soccer and not rugby until the later years of high school, Addai has made strides in the game.

She was a consistent starter for the Ravens, a 2019 RSEQ first team all-star and could be a player for Canada’s U20 team.

Being honoured by the organization was a startling, but heartwarming moment for the Raven.

“My coach sent me a message in the early morning and I didn’t know [what] it was for,” said Addai.

“I got like, really excited and really happy because I definitely didn’t expect anything like that.”

“I was so shocked [and] surprised that I got the award … I’m very happy I’m getting that recognition, so I’m proud of myself.”

Looking ahead, Addai says she is ready to continue with the Ravens and prepare for a strong season.

In addition to Addai, three varsity teams were also recognized for their title-winning achievements.

These include the men’s soccer team (OUA Conference Champions), men’s basketball team (U Sports National Champions) and men’s curling team (U Sports National Champions). Former Raven Jamie Sinclair (curling) was also honoured at the ceremony.

Feature image provided.