Aboriginal community leaders criticized the Harper government but had mixed opinions on the future of the Indian Act at a panel discussion co-hosted by the Assembly of First Nations and Carleton Dec. 4.

The panel focused on the Indian Act, which was first introduced in 1876. The controversy stems from the power it gives the federal government to define who is considered a registered Indian and authority over bands and reserves.

The act was originally introduced as a tool for promoting assimilation, according to the Canadian Encyclopedia, and once included the banning of traditional practices like the potlatch or the sun dance.

The panel in the River Building atrium began with an acknowledgement of unceded Algonquin territory, an opening prayer by a local elder, and introductions in both Ojibwe and English.

Leo Baskatawang, who led the “March 4 Justice” from Vancouver to Ottawa in protest of recent federal policies, opened the first round of speeches by noting the lack of government officials on the panel was “a clear indication of just how seriously they take these issues to be.”

“We have tried to do things their way long enough, and all that’s happened is our people have gotten sick, and forgotten who they are,” he said.

The panel focused on the Indian Act, which has the power to define who is considered a registered Indian, and also addresses bands and reserves.

“The Indian Act is not a legitimate law, it has no authority,” Ovide Mercredi, former National Chief of the Assembly of First Nations, said in agreement with Baskatawang.

Caitlin Tolley, Kitigan-Zibi Band Councillor and youth representative, defended the dissenting view on the panel.

“We don’t necessarily feel that we should be abolishing the Indian Act,” she said of her community. “We feel that the Indian Act still encompasses many protections for our people.”

“To be honest, sometimes I get frustrated when I hear leaders speak of working for the grassroots people, when I’m the one picking roots with elders.”

“When we discuss the topic of the Indian Act and going beyond section 35, we need to consider the people, the families, the friends, the grassroots people back home who are the ones who have to live with this document on a daily basis,” she said.

Panelist Jody Wilson-Raybould, regional Chief of British Columbia said the Indian Act “has done nothing but bad things” for their community.

“In no uncertain terms does the federal government and Prime Minister Harper’s neo-colonial agenda work for our people,” she said. “Some of us fear the unknown. Change is good.”

Vera Pawis Tabobondung, president of the National Association of Friendship Centres, called for Aboriginal People to take more time to work independently of government.

“We’re good partners, and good partners bring good money. Well we’d like to be partners with ourselves for a change,” she said. “We want to see the change too, we want to be part of that change, but it has to be within our words, with our intentions, with our spirit.”

“Act Indian, not Indian Act,” were Mercredi’s concluding words for the panel.

Shady Hafez, administrative co-ordinator of the Aboriginal Student Centre, was pleased by the results of the presentation.

“Its good to see that there’s leaders across Canada who are all united in the fact that something about the Indian Act needs to be changed,” he said. “It is unhealthy for our people, its negative towards our people, it’s discriminatory.”

The panel discussion kicked off the Assembly of First Nations Special Chiefs Assembly taking place in Gatineau Dec. 4 through Dec. 6.