Carleton’s Aboriginal Service Centre (ASC) is claiming January as Aboriginal Awareness Month, and is hosting events throughout the month in honour of the occasion.

The events have so far included a documentary screening on Jan. 9 and a poetry night on Jan. 14. The events aim to “give students a chance to learn more about different Indigenous cultures and the challenges First Nations face on a daily basis,” according to a press release from the ASC.

The coffeehouse poetry night was titled Reclaiming Indigenous Voices, and discussed the 1,200 missing and murdered Indigenous women for whom the Harper government is under pressure to conduct a national inquiry.

The majority of performers were Indigenous women showing their support.

Despite the heavy subject, ASC administrator and co-ordinator Ashley Courchene said these events aren’t focused on problems.

“We want to celebrate,” Courchene said.

He said getting students involved in these kinds of events can be difficult.

“Canadians and First Nations people don’t have the best relationships right now,” Courchene said. “Even if someone was interested [in an event], they’re still a little cautious about entering our space.”

Courchene said there are “levels of mistrust,” but added the majority of attendees to the coffeehouse poetry night were not of Indigenous descent.

“There was an interest,” he said.

The documentary screening, Blood Identity and Belonging, had 122 attendees, according to the event’s Facebook page.
Courchene said he’s especially looking forward to the event being held at 8 p.m. on Jan. 28 at Zaphod Beeblebrox, featuring two U.S.-based musicians of aboriginal descent who rap about topics such as Indigenous sovereignty.

“That event portrays what I’m trying to get across,” Courchene said.

The ASC, supported by the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA), introduced Courchene’s staff role during the fall semester.

“Despite popular opinion, the Aboriginal Student Centre is something we do care about and we want to make sure they’re being paid attention to,” CUSA president Folarin Odunayo said.

The ASC office is located on the third floor of the Unicentre.