After 23 years in the business, seven studio albums, and the release of his recent EP Out on the Town, Canadian country star Aaron Pritchett says he is having the best year of his career yet.

The Kitimat, B.C. native followed up his 2018 smash hit “Worth A Shot” with another number one single on the Nielsen BDS Canadian country radio chart, “Better When I Do.” He’s also spent the first half of the year performing several sold out shows across the country on the first leg of his Out on the Town Tour.

Now, Pritchett is geared up for the tour’s second leg, featuring opening acts Kira Isabella and David James, and seems more optimistic about his path than ever. 

“It feels like I’m kind of the new kid on the block again,” said Pritchett.

“For somebody who’s getting up there and still releasing music that’s relevant, and being able to tour as much as I have … 2019 has been the best year so far, hopefully 2020 is even better.”

Pritchett said it feels like he’s entered a new phase of his career following what felt like a dry-spell of sorts.

“I had some years, some lean years in between, around 2009 to 2016, where the industry had sort of turned their backs on me and decided ‘no more from this guy,’” said Pritchett.

“I’ve got this resurgence in the past three years, and especially this year.”

This comeback was reflected in what ended up being Pritchett’s busiest Canadian Country Music Awards (CCMA) show yet. Although he may not have been up for any awards this year, Pritchett performed on last week’s show for the first time in ten years.

“The state of the Canadian country music industry is as vibrant and successful as I’ve seen it ever,” said Pritchett of his takeaways from the show.

Artists like Lindsey Ell, Tennille Townes, and the James Barker Band are among acts Pritchett said are propelling the industry in the right direction.

“They’re going to be put on the map more seriously with the international country music scene, and especially with the U.S., I think they’re starting to look at us and go ‘Wow, these Canadian kids are really starting to get it that much more,’” said Pritchett.

“I just hope to be a part of it more and more as the years go by, and I know eventually I’ll have to hang up my skates at some point, but for now I’m really excited to watch it grow.”

But Pritchett is far from calling it quits. He said he’s itching to get this tour going and propel the recent momentum even further.

“To be honest if I hear a song of mine on the radio that’s an old one, I turn it off,” Pritchett admitted with a laugh. “The true great feeling I get from this industry is playing live, and being able to go out there and play for these fans who are so devoted to Canadian country music, and just country music in general.” 

“Watching them sing along and then getting to meet them after the shows, that’s honestly what I get the biggest kick out of, and what keeps me motivated to keep going.”

The Out on the Town Tour Part Two is set to hit Ottawa on Sept. 17 at The Overflow Brewing Company.

Featured image provided by Alley Cat PR.