From haunting melodies to upbeat bangers, Lord Huron’s setlist hit every emotion on June 24 at the Ottawa Jazz Festival. [Photo by Daria Maystruk/The Charlatan]

At times, it seemed Lord Huron’s chilling sounds beckoned the breeze and looming clouds over the TD Ottawa Jazz Festival on June 24. The indie-folk band roused a packed audience that continued to sway and bounce despite a brief period of rain.

Following a smooth performance by the Will Bonness Quintet, Lord Huron fulfilled their promise of taking the audience on a satisfying “tour of the emotions” full of fan favourites.

“A few laughs, a few tears and everything in between,” lead singer Ben Schneider said as the band began their set. “There will be something for everyone.”

And there certainly was. From haunting melodies to upbeat bangers, the variety in Lord Huron’s setlist hit every emotion. 

The performance featured a talented display of vocals and niche instruments like cowbells, chimes and harmonicas. 

During upbeat songs such as ”Fool for Love” and “Secret of Life,” Schneider’s dynamic stage presence was full of kicks, hair flips and guitar riffs. His playful personality shone through, intensifying the band’s already-engaging performance.

Schneider took his magnetic onstage presence to a whole new level as he emerged wearing a skeleton mask for a dance-filled and adrenaline-pumping performance of “Not Dead Yet.” 

The band’s chemistry was on full display as members gestured to the crowd, encouraging fans to clap and participate throughout the night. 

Softer melodies such as “When the Night is Over” and “Frozen Pines” introduced a touch of wonder to Lord Huron’s performance and hushed the show’s tone to a level of serenity. 

These songs also highlighted the band’s ability to layer their soulful vocals with haunting instrumental sounds of the theremin. 

During a heavenly duet of “I Lied,” singer-songwriter Alisson Ponthier and Schneider’s voices complimented each other in perfect harmony.

The band’s most popular song, “The Night We Met,” had the audience singing the melancholic lyrics and waving their phone flashlights in the air. 

After leaving the stage, Lord Huron came back for one final song. Obeying the chanting crowd’s request, the band performed a cover of Neil Young’s “Harvest Moon” to perfection, leaving fans cheering. 

The Confederation Park venue quickly cleared as devoted jazz fans made their way to the Marion Dewar Plaza OLG Stage to listen to the experimental sounds of TEKE::TEKE.

The TD Ottawa Jazz Festival, which ran until June 30, was a huge hit and sparked excitement for next summer’s performances.

Featured image by Daria Maystruk/The Charlatan.