Carleton Ravens goaltender Tye Austin (52) skates before a game against the Queen's Gaels Oct. 14, 2023 in Kingston, Ont. [Photo by Robin Kasem]

The mood was about as low as it could be following the Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team’s 7-1 clobbering at the hands of the uOttawa Gee-Gees Nov. 4 at the Carleton Ice House.

“It’s something we’ve gotta put away,” Ravens head coach Shaun Van Allen said. “We’ll come back on Monday, practice and be ready for the next weekend.”

After a 3-1 defeat to the Gee-Gees the night prior, this was not the game the Ravens were looking for as they sank to sixth place in the OUA East division with a 5-4-1 record.

5 observations

1. Carleton looked hesitant

When the Ravens gained possession, they weren’t confident with the puck or in their decisions with it. The Gee-Gees swarmed them every time, forcing bad decisions.

“We got a lot of bad breaks tonight, but we got out-worked,” Van Allen said. “That’s what happens, you don’t get a lot of breaks when they outwork you.”

The Gee-Gees picked off several Ravens opportunities from dangerous areas in the offensive zone. It was discouraging for players like forward Parker AuCoin, who led U Sports in goal scoring last season with his goal-per-game pace. This season, he has five in 10 games. 

2. Too many rebounds

Although goaltender Mark Grametbauer allowed four goals on 10 shots, the Ravens did little to help replacement Tye Austin. This was on display on the Gee-Gees’ seventh and final goal of the game –  Austin made the first save, but without any Ravens near the crease to clear the puck, Gee-Gees forward Luka Verreault cashed in on an easy rebound.

3. The Bytown Battle was on full display

The cross-town rivalry never stays dormant for long, especially as the score became increasingly lop-sided. 

The physicality against uOttawa was a step up from any previous game. It didn’t necessarily help them though, as more often than not, it ended with a Carleton player in the penalty box.

“Two schools in the same city, big rivalry … a lot of penalties on both sides, could’ve been a few more,” Van Allen said.

4. Penalties killed Carleton

Speaking of penalties, they really prevented Carleton from being more competitive in this game. They logged a whopping 60 minutes in penalties, including four 10-minute misconducts, one of which was for head contact.

“We’d like to be a lot better disciplined,” Van Allen said. “That’s one thing that I keep coming back to.”

While penalties only resulted in one power play goal against, it prevented them from setting up in Gee-Gees territory.

5. Neck guards are in

Prior to the tragic death of professional hockey player Adam Johnson, the decision to wear neck protection was entirely up to the players. Following the OUA’s decision to mandate neck guards for all players, both uOttawa and Carleton sported the protection around their necks at the Ice House. 

“It’s good, that’s the rule and we’ll abide by it,” Van Allen said.

Carleton will hit the ice again Nov. 10 at 7 p.m. against the RMC Paladins at the Ice House.

Featured image by Robin Kasem.