Graphic with letters
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

The results for the 2022 Carleton Board of Governors (BoG) student governor election were released today on Feb. 2.

Current undergraduate student governor Anastasia Lettieri and current Rideau River Residence Association (RRRA) vice-president (administration) Mira Gillis were elected to be Carleton’s two undergraduate student governors for the next academic year. 

Master’s of business administration student Puja Dabas and master’s in electrical and computer engineering student Abhishek Khoyani were elected to be Carleton’s two graduate student governors. 

The BoG is Carleton’s corporate governing body. It contributes to major  financial and infrastructure decisions for the university and presents Carleton’s annual budgets. The student governors will sit on the board from July 1 to June 30, 2023.

Six undergraduate candidates and three graduate candidates ran this year. Last year, the same number of undergraduate students and one more graduate candidate ran. 

Last year’s elections also had a higher voter turnout. 

About 2,000 undergraduate students voted for a governor this year, approximately 1,000 less than last year. While last year’s graduate representative election had just over 700 ballots cast, this year only had 450.

Lettieri, a third-year law student, served on the BoG last year. She was elected in 2021 with just over 1,200 votes. This year, she won the most votes of any candidate with 889.

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.