Ottawa Bluesfest headliner 50 Cent raps and ignites the crowd on July 6, 2024. [Photo by Darren Tran/The Charlatan]

If the roiling grey storm clouds in the distance threatened to put a damper on the night, Bluesfest day three attendees were ready for a fight. 

Artists including City Fidelia, Hopper, Dwayne Dopsie & The Zydeco Hellraisers and 50 Cent brought lively tunes to the music festival on July 6. Energetic crowds were dancing and singing along despite spotty downpours before the headlining performance. 

“This is one of the best cities in the world, you know that?” Ottawa-based City Fidelia said with heartfelt zeal to the crowd near the start of his 6 p.m. RBC Stage set. 

The Canadian rapper warmed up the audience with songs including “Satisfied,” a collaboration with Canadian DJ Robotaki. Fidelia encouraged chants and singing along, while his background singers harmonized with animated ease.  

Attendees were already nursing beers and smile-plastered faces whilst swaying to the hip-hop beats.

Meanwhile underneath the looming storm clouds, Ottawa-based five-piece Hopper brought warmth and sentiment to the River Stage crowd. 

Ottawa-based five-piece Hopper jives and grooves along with the crowd on July 6, 2024. [Photo by Darren Tran/The Charlatan]
The performance included their single “Everything You Wanted” and breakup anthem “Newly Strangers,” which were rife with smooth guitar riffs and intoxicating lead vocals with catchy indie-rock hooks. Hopper’s sound transcended familiarity and breathed unique energy into the festival line-up.

In touch with their local roots, the band shouted out familiar faces in the crowd and shared how grateful they are to be playing at Bluesfest; a festival lead singer Nick Horne said he has attended from a young age. 

As attendees were sipping lemonades and sharing plates of french fries, the drizzling rain morphed into a light shower. Crowds brought out bright pink ponchos and opened their pocket-sized umbrellas to evade the droplets. 

But under the tent-covered protection of the SiriusXM stage, Dwayne Dopsie & The Zydeco Hellraisers’ thunderous performance was more electrifying than any atmospheric phenomenon. 

Hailing from Lafayette, La., Dopsie donned a black vest, blue jeans and a signature bedazzled accordion whilst performing the Zydeco tunes alongside the rocking Hellraisers. The band included a dynamic saxophonist and vivacious washboard player. 

Dwayne Dopsie plays his signature bedazzled accordion while performing with The Zydeco Hellraisers’. [Photo by Darren Tran/The Charlatan]
With the crowd’s energy at their fingertips, the performers gave uptempo rhythmic beats as the stage lights flashed enthralling glows of blues, greens, pinks and whites over the shuffle-dancing spectators. 

Dopsie’s tantalizing accordion solos ushered song transitions and he glided through frantic melodies with skillful vigor. 

When Dopsie popped open a black umbrella and jumped from the stage to join the floor, he led the audience in an animated dance circle backed by an enrapturing saxophone solo. 

The rain was on and off by the time the Zydeco set was finished — festival attendees sought refuge under trees and tent-protected food spots to kill time with beers and burgers. 

Luckily, the rain stopped in time for headliner 50 Cent to take the RBC Stage. 

50 Cent ignites the crowd on night three of Ottawa Bluesfest on July 6, 2024. [Photo by Darren Tran/The Charlatan]
The rapper came out the gates swinging, igniting the crowd with all-time hits like “What Up Gangsta” and “If I Can’t,” setting the tone for a memorable night. 

With the crowd in a frenzy, 50 kept the momentum going, treating the audience to his greatest hits such as “In Da Club,” “P.I.M.P.,” the romantic ballad “21 Questions” and the highly motivational anthem “Hustler’s Ambition.” 

During one of his song breaks, 50 took the opportunity to poke fun at the recent incident in which Rick Ross was involved in a brawl after his set at a Vancouver festival. 50 Cent jokingly punched his face, sending an uproar of laughter from the crowd.

To close out the show, the New York rapper played “I’ll Whip Ya Head Boy,” a head-banging, deep-cut track satisfying both diehard and casual fans alike. 

As 50 closed his set with bursts of golden sparkling fireworks emitting from the stage, festivalgoers made their way through the damp grounds littered with beer cans and puddles, ending a bright and lively night in spite of the weather.

Featured image by Darren Tran.