Women’s hockey drops two games over weekend

The Carleton Ravens women’s hockey team fell to the Université de Montreal Carabins 6-0 on Nov. 25 and then were defeated by the Concordia Stingers 2-0 on Nov. 26, completing a tough losing weekend.

Against the Carabins, the Ravens defence were able to hold off Montreal’s strong offensive pressure allowing no goals in the first period and keeping the score tied at 0-0.

Montreal came out with speed in the second period and were able to convert when on the power play. Carabins forward Annie Germain fired the puck past Ravens goaltender Katelyn Steele one minute into the second period.

The Carabins scored their second goal of the period, as defenceman Kim Poirier beat Steele and put the puck into the back of the net.

Montreal would then add another goal seven minutes later from forward Jessica Cormier to give the Carabins a 3-0 lead heading into the third period.

The onslaught of Montreal’s offence didn’t stop there, as just six minutes into the third period, on another power play, Carabins forward Laurie Mercier shot the puck past Steele to bring the score to 4-0.

Three minutes later, Carabins forward Kaleigh Quennec added to the score sheet pushing the score to 5-0 and, only seconds later, Cormier added her second of the game, capping off the 6-0 blowout.

In the game against Concordia, the Ravens came out strong but weren’t able to capitalize on any of their early chances.

Three minutes into the first period, Stingers forward Devon Thompson opened the scoring as she fired the puck past Steele to give Concordia a 1-0 lead.

Despite being down 1-0 heading into the second period, the Ravens outshot Concordia 8-5 in the first period. Throughout the game, Ravens forward Annie-Pier Tremblay had quite a few scoring chances which she couldn’t end up capitalizing on.

“She moved her legs and she skated. She’s small but she’s strong and she’s a very good hockey player . . . she’s got a good offensive mind and she’s creating good scoring chances,” head coach Pierre Alain said about Tremblay.

Three minutes before the end of the third period, Thompson scored her second goal of the game after tipping the puck over Steele’s shoulder with a wrist shot to put the Stingers up 2-0 and end the game.

The Ravens play their next game on Dec. 1 at home at the Ice House when they face off against the University of Ottawa Gee-Gees before taking a break and coming back for their next game on Jan. 5.

Photo by Dan Robertson